Monday, May 20, 2019

Our History

The first services for the Lutherans of Bellevue were conducted in an old school building on Broad Street.  It was erected in 1845 as the very first “sonte” (brick) school house for the Bellevue community.  The building stood between the present Immaculate Conception Church and the Immaculate Conception School on Broad Street.

On December 27, 1867, the congregation purchased the Methodist Church on Center Street for $2,000.00.

The lot at the corner of South West and Harrison Street was purchased on May 7, 1893 for $2200.00.  On September 9, 1894 the cornerstone of the new building was laid by the pastor, assisted by Professor F.W. Stellhorn of Columbus, who preached the German sermon and the Rev. E.G. Tressel of Columbus, who preached in English.  The dedication of the new building was Sunday, July 21, 1895.

The stained glass windows were designed and executed by the Capitol City Art Glass and Decorating Company of Columbus. At this time the men and boys sat on one side of the church with the women and girls on the other.

The new parish hall was dedicated March 20, 1955 including the Church Parlor supplemented by a kitchenette. 

 The present Sanctuary and Chapel were dedicated Sunday, January 14, 1962. 

The new $375,000.00 structure is styled in modern Gothic architecture by Carl Britsch of Toledo.  The entrance is on Harrison Street via a circular drive with ground level glass doors. 

 The Nave (Sanctuary; seating capacity 300) is beautified by six sets of stained glass windows, each depicting a phase in the life of Jesus Christ. The lectern, pulpit and altar were taken from the old church and refinished.  Its laminated wood arches, stained glass windows, quatrefoil penetrations in the stone work form a dossal screen.  This is an expression of modified Gothic architecture.

 Directly above the Narthex is a balcony (seating capacity 106) for the choir, organ and organist.

 A small Chapel (seating capacity 78) is located to the right of the Narthex. 

 On July 18, 1965 the Chapel windows were dedicated. The glass used in the windows was hand blown in Germany and used for ecclesiastical purposes only. The work was executed by the Franklin Art Glass Company of Columbus.  The glass windows in the Narthex are also imported German glass. The partition screens separating the Narthex and Nave are leaded stained glass.