Monday, May 20, 2019

Music & The Arts

Music is just one way we use our God-given talents and gifts to express our praise and appreciation to Him. St. John’s Lutheran uses many different kinds of music to enhance our weekly and seasonal worship services.

Our Choir Director, Organists and Musicians lead our worship, choirs and helps us plan how music will enhance our worship services. Members can participate in our music ministry through:

  • Adult Choir
  • Sunday Church School Choir
  • Saturday Worship Song Leaders


The stained glass windows were designed and executed by the Capitol City Art Glass and Decorating Company of Columbus. At this time the men and boys sat on one side of the church with the women and girls on the other.

The new parish hall was dedicated March 20, 1955 including the Church Parlor supplemented by a kitchenette. 

The present Sanctuary and Chapel were dedicated Sunday, January 14, 1962. 

The new $375,000.00 structure is styled in modern Gothic architecture by Carl Britsch of Toledo.  The entrance is on Harrison Street via a circular drive with ground level glass doors. 

The Nave (Sanctuary; seating capacity 300) is beautified by six sets of stained glass windows, each depicting a phase in the life of Jesus Christ. The lectern, pulpit and altar were taken from the old church and refinished.  Its laminated wood arches, stained glass windows, quatrefoil penetrations in the stone work form a dossal screen.  This is an expression of modified Gothic architecture.

Directly above the Narthex is a balcony (seating capacity 106) for the choir, organ and organist.

A small Chapel (seating capacity 78) is located to the right of the Narthex. 

On July 18, 1965 the Chapel windows were dedicated. The glass used in the windows was hand blown in Germany and used for ecclesiastical purposes only. The work was executed by the Franklin Art Glass Company of Columbus.  The glass windows in the Narthex are also imported German glass. The partition screens separating the Narthex and Nave are leaded stained glass. 


Each year, St. John’s hosts a Silent Film Festival. 


The original organ built by John H. Sole of Fremont cost $1,500.00. It was a two-manual tracker-action instrument with nine speaking stops.  This organ was replaced with a Moller organ by the Knapp family.  With the pending demolition of the 1894 structure and the construction of the present Sanctuary beginning in 1960, the Toledo Pipe Organ Company removed the Moller organ.  Upon completion of the new building, they installed a four manual, thirty-six rank instrument. This organ served St. John’s from 1962-1997.

In June, 1997, the organ was removed by the Bunn-Munnick Organ Company of Columbus, Ohio. The craftsmen cleaned, repaired, releathered and rewired the entire organ and added sixteen ranks.  There are 3,513 pipes. They installed the Swell, Choir, and Solo Divisions, plus the bulk of the Pedal Division in time for the 1998 Easter celebrations. The new exposed Great Division and the total refinishing were completed in 1998. The new organ was dedicated September 27, 1998.